Protect Yourself and Your Loved
Ones from Medicare Fraud


I was billed for a service I didn’t receive. What do I do?

  • Contact the health care provider or the company that paid the bill.
  • Contact your state’s Senior Medicare Patrol (select your state on the left and click "search").

What if I gave out my Medicare number to a stranger?

  • Contact your state’s Senior Medicare Patrol for help (select your state on the left and click "search").
  • Alert your health care providers so they can be aware of suspicious activity. 
  • If you notice suspicious activity on your statements, contact your health plan or provider and ask for a correction.

What if I lost my Medicare card?

  • Call the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

What if I suspect Medicare fraud?

How do I know if a phone call is legitimate?

  • If the call is from a charity, tell them to send you information in writing. Be sure to add that you do not give money to strangers over the telephone.
  • If they are selling something and you are interested, ask for information in writing. If this is a one-time opportunity, tell them you do not make decisions over the phone.
  • Ask the caller for his or her name, company name, and callback number. You can call back later to verify the legitimacy of the source and the offer.
  • Most importantly, LISTEN for these red flags: 
    • Are they asking for credit card information?
    • Are they asking for banking information?
    • Are they asking for personal information like your Medicare or Social Security number?
    • Do they say the offer is only good today? A real company will give you time to think and verify.
    • Do they know something about you but ask to verify that the information is correct?
    • If any of these are happening, HANG UP!

Who can I call about consumer scams that aren't about Medicare?

  • Report it to The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 877-382-4357 or online at www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.
  • Report it to local law enforcement.

What if I think my loved one is getting poor quality care?

  •  Contact your state’s Quality Improvement Organization (QIO). •QIOs investigate these complaints, gather facts from all parties involved, and recommend action to help providers and suppliers improve quality of care.
    •To locate your state’s QIO, visit the American Health Quality Association’s website: www.ahqa.org or use this direct URL: http://www.ahqa.org/find-your-qio.