Though every SMP program is unique in its own way, certain characteristics are fundamental to every SMP project. These fundamentals are explained in the SMP cooperative agreement with the U.S. Administration on Community Living (ACL). SMP cooperative agreements are contained within the SMP Program Announcement. ACL funds the SMP program as well as the SMP Resource Center.
New to SMP? Start Here:
- Working with ACL: For an understanding of basic SMP grant requirements under the Administration for Community Living (ACL) click here.
- SIRS: The SMP Information and Reporting System (SIRS) is the web-based program used by the SMPs to track and report program activity. For more details, see the SMP Information and Reporting System (SIRS) page.
- OIG Report: SMP performance measures are measured annually by the Office of Inspector General, based upon the data in the SMP data reporting system. To learn more see the OIG Report page.
- Volunteer Risk and Program Management (VRPM): ACL’s VRPM policies for SMPs are aimed at decreasing and managing risks related to volunteer involvement in SMPs. They are also designed to enhance the quality, effectiveness, and safety of SMP services. For access to the policies and support resources, see the VRPM page.
- National SMP Branding: A standard SMP logo is used by all SMPs to forge national visibility for the program. An SMP brochure and SMP personal health care journal provided by ACL are available in the SMP Resource Library.
Support from the SMP Resource Center
- SMP Resource Center Orientation: The SMP Resource Center offers orientation for new SMP project directors.
- Mentor Calls:
A tradition in the SMP network, monthly mentor calls provide an opportunity for all SMP project directors and other key SMP staff to network with each other. They are held the second Tuesday of every month at 11:30 a.m. ET and 3:00 p.m. ET. Access instructions are emailed to SMP project directors. SMP project directors determine whether or not other staff from their state should also be invited to the mentor calls. For more information, contact Molly Wells at 1-877-808-2468.
- Training: The SMP Resource Center provides webinars on topics of interest to SMP project directors and support staff. Upcoming events can be found in the SMP Resource Library in the “Events” tab and recordings can be found by searching for keyword “webinar”.
- Center Services: To learn about all products and services provided to SMPs by the SMP Resource Center, see the Center Services page.
The Independent Sector's Value of Volunteer Time provides both national and state-by-state wage equivalents for volunteer time.