Report Fraud

If you suspect Medicare fraud, errors, or abuse, address it immediately by taking these steps: 

  • Rule out error: If you have questions about information on yours or your loved one's Medicare Summary Notice (MSN) or Explanation of Benefits (EOB), call the provider or plan and ask for an explanation.
  • Get help from your SMP: If you are not comfortable calling the provider or plan or if you are not satisfied with their response, your local SMP can help you:
    • Identify and report fraud schemes and deceptive health care practices, such as illegal marketing or billing for services that were never provided.    
    • Refer complaints of potential fraud and abuse to the appropriate entity, who can intervene.  For example:
      • HHS Office of Inspector General (OIG)
      • Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
      • State attorneys general
      •  Local law enforcement
      • State departments of insurance
      • State Medicaid Fraud Control Units (MFCU)
    • Use the SMP Locator on this website to select your state and receive SMP contact information
    • Click here to learn more about what SMPs do.
  • Get help from other sources:
    • Contact local law enforcement.
    • Call 1-800-Medicare.
    • Report directly to the OIG Hotline: 1-800-HHS-TIPS (800-447-8477).
FindFind Help in Your State